Monday, October 12, 2009

Joining The Herd

Six weeks ago I doubted I'd ever see my beautiful Minnesota horses trot, let alone trot sound. I know that Sally, my trimmer, said they'd heal & be okay, but I was so very skeptical. It just seemed they both were fighting losing odds, combining morbid obesity with founder & laminitis.

As their lifestyle & diet changed, so did the problems facing Maark & Lady. Slowly they began loosing weight & moving more sound. Maark was the first to trot freely across their pasture, with Lady following a few days later. It's been great watching them improve & seeing the changes that will give them new futures.

Finally Lady & Maark were healed enough to join other horses. Lady was put in with the older, quite mares. It was fun watching her interact with new horses. For so long it was just her & Maark. Now she has a chance to make new friends & to hang out with other quiet, sedate horses. At first she was unsure of her herd status but she quickly found her place in the middle.

It was an exciting day when I moved Maark into the pasture with my working horses. He's become a "working boy". 4 to 5 days a week the members of the "working herd" are free lunged through the 4-5 acre pasture for about 10 minutes. They gallop, trot, snort, & challenge each other to be in the lead. Often Maark leads the way. It's breath taking to watch him as he does a booming trot across the field. I really must get photos of this trot because it's quite spectacular to watch. He's toning & gaining some muscles. As his weight drops his energy level increases & he often does an easy trot to wherever he's going. In the recent rain his Equicasts came off & I was happily surprised to see that his feet are no longer sore. Even trotting across the hard, rocky ground he's sound. As he looses more weight & gain some conditioning, it will soon be time to start ponying him on trails. What a wonderful day that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment