Monday, October 26, 2009

Maark-Hooves Uncast

After Maark had has his Equicasts on for 4 weeks, they started to come off. This was helped along by the rain & Maark moving around the pasture with the other horses. His best friend is a 2 year old filly who keeps him hustling. On 10/25 Sally, James, & a student trimmer came out to work on Lady & Maark. Maark was quite the pest as Lady was getting her hoof makeover. He wanted to see what everyone was doing, probably just to be sure Lady wasn't getting any treats.

For the two weeks that Maark's casts had been off he'd been running around sound so didn't need casts back on his feet. His hooves had grown a lot & needed a trim. It's amazing how fast his hooves are growing & I'm sure some of that can be attributed to the minerals my horses get. CA Trace has increased the hoof growth in all my horses, as well as giving them shiny & dappled coats. Although on second thought the hoof growth might not be such a good thing because they need trimming more often. I might have to reconsider giving the minerals. NOT! They really have helped grow Maark a healthy hoof faster than I could have expected. I hadn't thought of it as Maark was being trimmed, but I'm sure the CA Trace had a part in making Maark feel good enough to misbehave. He was quite wiggly & stubborn, not wanting to stand still. A behavior he hadn't exhibited before Sun. While this is a down side to a horse feeling well, I'll take the fractious horse over the "not quite right" horse any day.

Maark did settle down & it was decided that he would get new casts so the student could practice. It's nice having horses that behave well enough for students to work on them. Not only does it benefit my horses, it benefits all the other horses the student will one day trim & possibly cast. Maark sure does look spiffy in his pretty purple & black hoof casts. I wonder if they're the reason he now runs like the wind?

No comments:

Post a Comment