Monday, November 16, 2009

The Biggest Loser

Maark is doing & looking good. He's starting to get some muscle tone & he's enjoying running & playing. It's amazing to see him run & then check his pulse & respiration. When he arrived he was puffing just walking across the pasture. Today he can run with the rest of the herd with his pulse & respiration recoveries are almost as fast as my endurance mare. He's doing so fabulously well that I find it hard to remember that day in Sept when he stepped off the trailer. I've almost forgotten how I tossed handfuls of hay around an entire acre to keep him & Lady not only moving, but to keep them from gorging while trying to feed them appropriately. Maark's no longer that obese horse heading for a metabolic crash. He's gone from 1467 lbs to 1170 lbs. It's been tough feeding the calories he needs without contributing to his obesity. But I have succeeded. He's becoming the dynamic horse he was meant to be & one day soon he'll become an athlete. It's been suggested that I open a Biggest Loser Ranch for horses. I might just do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment